Saturday, June 18, 2011

Those Across the River - Christopher Buehlman

Dear reader(s), I don't know where to start with this book. You need to know that I am not a big fan of horror-type books, movies, etc. in general but the description on NetGalley sounded intriguing so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I was completely blown away by this book. BLOWN. AWAY.

The first few pages drew me in and I had trouble putting this down, except for the time I tried reading in bed in a dark house while my husband was still downstairs and got completely creeped out. The writing is excellent. Because of the genre, I had unfairly feared that the writing would be of the clunky type I dislike so much and I couldn't have been more wrong if I had tried. The narrator's voice is perfect, I loved the overall tone of the narration and I loved the character of the narrator. I could read volumes about this narrator. At one point in the reading I actually involuntarily whispered "oh no!" - reader(s), I never do things like that when I read! Never!

This book would make an excellent gift for an adult who likes a certain type of undeservedly (in my opinion) popular horror writer, as this book manages to have a wonderfully done gothic (in the literary sense, not the subcultural sense) horror story but actually has excellent writing as well. Of course, it would also be a great book for anyone that is a fan of great writing and well-told stories. I hate that this review sounds so gushing but it's my honest opinion. I will most definitely be looking for more by this author. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment