Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower - C.S. Forester

On the evening of April Fool's Day, my husband and I were having an at-home Happy Hour and talking about books and reading. My husband reads but not nearly as much or as compulsively as I do. We came up with the idea of giving each other books that we like but that the other hasn't read (and might not read on their own) and this was his first choice for me. I know, it's embarrassing that it has taken me this long to finish the book, and I can't explain it. I actually liked the character of Horatio Hornblower but one thing that held me up was the nautical terminology that was unfamiliar to me - my husband has more of a background in these things so they are not a challenge for him as they are for me. I will most likely go on to read other books in the series, to see what happens to Hornblower. I also now want to watch the series from a few years ago with Ioan Gruffudd as Hornblower - I remember seeing parts of it when it was first made but it would be nice to watch it now having the book freshly in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment