Thursday, June 30, 2011

GUEST POST - The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Note: this post is a guest post from my husband, based on our personal challenge that started April 1, 2011. I forced him into doing this blog post to commemorate this - hee hee. I chose The Hunger Games for him because I thought it was a good, fast read that would cause him to request more books for this "challenge" and not make him regret this idea! PS - he ended up reading the entire trilogy in a matter of days! :)

My wife and I had this deal called "forced read.*" The idea is to ensure we read something that we might not otherwise pick up and read. My wife's first choice in the "forced read" was The Hunger Games. It was was very simple read but very enjoyable. It stimulated my basic primal needs of survival. I also enjoyed the ethical dilemmas that were brought up in the book: do we protect the weak at our own expense or do we just protect ourselves?

I think this book allows us to evaluate our own internal battle on how we would personally act in a total survival mode. It allows us to judge ourselves on who we are and lets us ponder our true character.

I enjoyed the book--as a general read with a little self reflection thrown in.  

* this was the rather negative name we gave to our idea of choosing books for the other person - it is our amusing name for this ongoing challenge! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment