Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Blogger Hop/Follow Friday/TGIF

Welcome and Happy Friday! Enjoy your stay on my blog, and if this is your first visit to my blog please leave me a comment so I can follow your blog.




Book Blogger Hop


This week's question:

“As a book blogger, how do you introduce yourself in your profile?”

My response: Not very well, I'm afraid! I first started this blog just for my own purposes, as a place where I could keep track of what I thought was going to be one reading challenge this year (ha!) and also a place to catalog the books I read. As I've mentioned before, I have a bad memory, and although I can usually remember books I've read a couple years ago I got halfway through a book before I realized I had read it before years ago - oops!! So I never thought about this blog as a place for marketing myself, or anything other people would read, etc. Now that I've been participating in blog hops and networking, I guess I better get a better profile up soon!






This week's question:


It's that pesky magic book fairy again! She has another wish: What imaginary book world would you like to make a reality?


My response: Oh, there are so many possible answers to this! I'd love to have Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series come to life and be able to visit books of all kinds. I'd also like to visit any of Haruki Murakami's surreal places in many of his novels. The setting of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream would be interesting - who wouldn't want to bump into Puck at least once? I'm sure there are many more I'm not thinking of, maybe I'll add some later if I think of them.



This week's question:

Book Disappointments: Have you ever come across a book you were so stoked to read, but it failed miserably in your eyes?

Disclaimer: These are my opinions only, and I don't mean to trash these books - I know lots of other people like these books and that's fine, we all have different tastes/opinions! Also - there may be minor spoilers of a sort, so please read my response with that in mind! :-) 

My response: Definitely! One of the main books that comes to mind is The Time Traveller's Wife - I had heard so much about it and was very interested to read it but found it very disappointing. The main character was just so selfish and stereotypically "wet blanket woman," complaining so much and solely focused on having a big wedding and having a baby at the expense of anything else (including her relationship with her love interest) that I just couldn't relate. 

Another such book was The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. I had really enjoyed The Historian so I assumed this book would be as good, but it wasn't. It desperately needed an editor, it was way too long and repetitive, banging the reader over the head with some points, and the payoff was not equal to the buildup.


12 comments:

  1. Nice picks for Follow Friday! I wouldn't have thought of a Shakespeare world. Have a great weekend!

    Peggy
    My Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice with Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Meeting Puck would be AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked The Historian too, I haven't read The Swan Thieves yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the second person that I've seen mention Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. I need to check it out!

    I am a new follower!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually think I saw this answer at another blog too! Haven't read or heard of the Thursday Next series until today though! Good pick!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Another person who feels the same way about The Time Traveler's Wife. I loved the concept, but the story fell flat for me. I wanted more than just sex between Henry and Clare. I wanted to know more about Henry's time traveling and why he did it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time travellers wife was a disappointment for me too...I really tried to love it....just didn't

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I thought I was the only one who didn't like "The Time Traveller's Wife". I also liked "The Historian". Maybe we have a connection here. I'm a new follower!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read the Time Traveller's Wife but I loved the movie! =)

    Hopping through! Hope you can visit my Friday Hops.

    New follower,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't like The Time Traveler's Wife either. I recently changed my profile to reflect the fact I'm almost done with library school. Please come and read my new introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopping by :-) Looking forward to seeing your profile when it's up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't read the Time Traveler's Wife because I saw the movie first and that just kind of ruins the book for me.

    Thanks for visiting my blog on Friday and following me :)

    JJ iReads

    ReplyDelete