Friday, September 23, 2011

Follow Friday/TGIF

Hello everyone, and thanks for coming by my blog! One note, if you have come here before and followed me and I have not followed you back, it's probably because the follow feature wouldn't show up for me when I went to your blog. If this is the case, please let me know in the comments so I can follow your blog. And now on to the Friday fun!







This week's question:

Do you have a favorite series that you read over and over again? Tell us a bit about it and why you keep on revisiting it.


My response: I have to say off the top of my head that I love Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. I couldn't possible do it justice trying to explain what it's like, but it's full of allusions to books and authors and clever wordplay and it makes me laugh while telling a really creative story based around books and reading that I really enjoy. It's fun to reread because I catch more little things I previously missed each time I read.

I also enjoyed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series and have reread that once, I suspect I'll read it again at some point as well. I really like the character of Lisbeth Salander, and I think Stieg Larsson did a good job of making her sympathetic and at the same time prickly and sometimes unlikable. And I wish I had her memory and computer skills :)

And of course I have reread Harry Potter multiple times, it's such an engrossing story with great characters and a wonderful magical world.

Lastly I would probably say I devoured all the Nancy Drew books as a child, and I have a few books from the series that I've picked up in the last few years, and they are fun to reread now and then - partially because they are simple and comforting, I guess.







This week's question:


Reading Challenges: Did you sign up for any this year? How has your progress been?

My response: I can honestly say that this blog began specifically because of reading challenges I signed up for in January. I just wanted a place I could keep track of the challenges and log the books I read. I started with Roof Beam Reader's To Be Read Pile Challenge, and since then I keep finding challenges to join so now I have several, as shown below. The Hogwarts Reading Challenge ended June 30th, and as I reported, I won that challenge - I'm still really happy about that :) 

Overall my progress has been OK so far, I have more or less kept up with all of them except for the War and Peace challenge - I'm still fairly far behind with that one but I hope to catch up. 
  • TBR Pile Challenge - read 6 out of 12 books, and will probably finish a 7th today
  • 100+ Books Challenge - read 130 books so far in 2011
  • The Buck Stops Here Challenge - I am 1 book away from achieving Level 4 (bonus level) - it will probably happen today
  • The Forgotten Treasures Challenge - 6 books away from Level 3 (bonus level)
  • War and Peace One Chapter A Day - very behind on this one, but working on catching up :(
  • The Hogwarts Reading Challenge - completed 30 June, and won :-) 
  • Read Outside Your Comfort Zone Challenge - I said I'd read between 16 - 20 books for this one, and so far I have read 8 books, so I still have some reading to do here
  • The Color Coded Reading Challenge - I have read 4 out of 9 books for this one, and will have another one that I will most likely finish today (and yes, it's one book for multiple challenges)
  • GLBT Reading Challenge - read 10 out of 15 books
  • Haruki Murakami Reading Challenge - read 1 out of 3 books 
It's been really fun to participate in all of these challenges this year, and I have definitely read a lot of books I might not otherwise I have read, which is always a good thing! 

How are your challenges going? 

10 comments:

  1. Oh I definitely didn't think about books I'd read as a child - I probably reread the Animorphs, Babysitter's Club and Boxcar Children series far more then was normal! Harry Potter is so easy to re-read! Each time you notice the clues that you missed before that seem so obvious now, which I totally love doing.

    I haven't read either of the other series, but I just might have to add them to my TBR list. :)

    Rywn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is definitely on my TBR list! I actually own it, but I haven't had the time to read it. Hopefully I can soon! Great answer :)

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've really wanted to read Girl with the dragon tattoo. now it's on my immediate TBR!

    I'm your newest follower!
    Care to follow back?

    Also, don't forget to enter our SIGNED Enthralled Anthology giveaway!

    lovelifeandreading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually won the books to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series but I never read them. I know I'll read them eventually. New follower!

    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You're rocking your challenges! Way to go! I'm only participating in two. I'll achieve one of them. I may try the one I won't achieve again next year. We'll see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could not agree more. Harry Potter is epic <333

    Great post, new follower:D

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep hearing about the Thursday Next books! Really need to look them up!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm planning on re-reading Harry Potter again this year. I just got finished reading the first one.

    It looks like you're doing great keeping up with all those challenges! I would crumble be able to keep up with all of those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen lots of readers loving Thursday Next, but I really didn't like the first book. I've never actually read Jane Eyre though, so I wonder if that affected my enjoyment.

    Way to go on your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopping through. I've only read the first Stieg book. Once I got into it, it was so hard to put it down.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete