Friday, September 23, 2011

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

What an amazing surprise this book turned out to be for me. I picked it up from the Library Sale book shelves for 50 cents a few years ago, but put off reading it for fear that it would suffer from what I call "Charles Dickens Syndrome" - it would ramble on and seem boring to me. I added it to my TBR Pile Challenge list and STILL put it off until I needed a book for the Color Coded Reading Challenge and this would work for both.

I can't believe what an idiot I was! I loved this book! It kept me in suspense and I just wanted to read it and discover all the solutions to its mysteries. I had a hard time putting it down. It was anything but boring, rambling, or repetitive and I fully enjoyed it. I will definitely be reading other books by Wilkie Collins, particularly The Moonstone, but that might have to wait a while as I have a lot more books currently piled up needing to be read. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. I won a copy of this book a while ago... it's been sitting there, waiting, for basically the same reasons. I really want to read it, but I'm afraid I won't like it. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll get to it...someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed this book! What a great mystery and I loved the different narratives. Moonstone is very high on my list of future reads!

    ReplyDelete