Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Brown Girl, Brownstones - Paule Marshall

Wow, what a fantastic end to my 2013 reading! I wasn't previously familiar with this author, but I stumbled on this book in the library since I needed a book with "brown" in the title to finish up the Color-Coded Reading Challenge and I am so glad I did. When the book ended, I wanted to keep reading about the characters in this book, particularly the main character, but also her sister. There is a scene in the middle of the book involving 4 characters and some purchases in which the author so skillfully shows us each character's reactions and inner motivations and conflicts about what is happening that this scene will live in my mind for a long time. I would definitely read more by this author. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment