Monday, December 16, 2013

Exit Into History - Eva Hoffman

As I mentioned in the original TBR Pile Challenge post, I have no idea how I came to own this book. I suspect it was a used book that I bought because the subject matter, described in the subtitle: A Journey Through the New Eastern Europe, was intriguing. I wasn't wrong - this book painted an up-close portrait of the changes in Poland, (then) Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria in the early 90s, when these countries were emerging from communist rule. This book was originally published 20 years ago, so as I was reading it I couldn't help but wish for an updated sequel. I'd love to find out about the people described in the book, and how the cities and towns the author visited look today, compared to this time of upheaval and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment