Friday, December 27, 2013

My Endless War ... And My Shattered Dreams - Sonia Kaplan

This is a personal narrative of a Holocaust survivor. The author devotes the first chapters to daily life and customs in her Polish city before the war, which I found very effective, not only to learn what daily life was like, but because it reinforced what was lost in the Holocaust. I came across this book on a visit to the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. (a truly wonderful museum everyone should visit in their lifetime) because the author was there signing copies. Sadly it got lost in the shuffle and I hadn't read it until now. Of course now I wish I could have somehow read this book before I had the opportunity to meet the author, who is the only survivor from her family. This book is of course sad but as I have said before in other posts, it's so important that we remember the past so that the horrible things that happen are not repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment