Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A Free Man of Color - Barbara Hambly

This was yet another Library Sales shelf find, which has been waiting to be read, and yet again I wish I had read it sooner. It's the first book of a series featuring Benjamin January, the titular free man of color, and the story is set in New Orleans in 1833. I know next to nothing about New Orleans, and even less about this era in that city's history, but I definitely know a lot more than I used to. A lot of what I now know is rather sad and depressing; if someone ever invents a usable time machine, I'm not sure I'd ever travel back to this place and time, for many reasons.

However, the main character is wonderful, and the central mystery kept me guessing throughout. I would very much like to read the rest of this series, so I will have to add that to my ever-growing list of book series to take up if I can ever get my TBR pile under control. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment