Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Girl in the Polka-dot Dress - Beryl Bainbridge

One of the reasons I love the Color-Coded Reading Challenge is that I am forced to look for books that fit certain categories, and in the process, I often stumble on great books and/or authors that I may not have otherwise encountered. This book is one such find, discovered as I was searching the library catalog for a book for the most difficult challenge category (well, maybe in a tie with "brown"):

9. A book with a word that implies color (Rainbow, Polka-dot, Plaid, Paisley, Stripe, etc.).

Having read this book, I would like to read more by the same author. I found all of the characters repellent and fascinating in equal measure, and I liked how the writing showed us that the past can ripple into the present. Much of this book struck me as baffling but at the same time totally understandable. I know that makes little sense but this book was disorienting in a way, and not in a bad way. Another book that has a lot of scope for introspection. Recommended.

I did some quick research and discovered that this book was actually unfinished - the author died while she was working on this novel. Frankly, I kind of like how it ended, although I do wonder what else might have happened to the characters. If you've read this, or other books by this author, let me know, I'd love to hear other opinions!


No comments:

Post a Comment