Sunday, September 27, 2015

September Reread - The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

This tiny book, one of the world's most famous, defies a review. What can I say about it that hasn't been said a million times already? It's one of those deceptively simple books that one can read again and again and see something new each time.

I was inspired to use this for my September reread book because last year around this time I found a copy in the original French on the Library Sale shelves (that will be the next review, en français). I had, of course, read this book in the English translation years and years (and years) ago. In fact, I somehow managed to hold on to my original copy, which it was my pleasure to remove from its dusty spot on my bookshelves and rediscover along with reading the French version in a quick readalong.

As I've noted in the past, having a bad memory can sometimes be a good thing. In this case, it allowed me to come back to this book in a "fresh" state, since it had been so long since I originally read it I basically remembered nothing about it. The story was probably even more moving and affecting for me now, well into adulthood. And I feel obligated to quote the famous lines:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." 

Highly recommended. 


No comments:

Post a Comment