Saturday, September 26, 2015

The City & The City - China Miéville

I have been wanting to read a book by this author for a while, but I got the impression that his books are sort of mind-bending and baffling and difficult, so that put me off a bit. I did get this book from the Library Sale shelves, but I still avoided it a bit until I decided to make it a priority with the TBR Pile Challenge and just take the plunge already. 

As usual, I feel like a ninny for waiting this long to read this book. I will say that the story is definitely one part detective story and one part mind-freak, but the writing is great and the stranger parts of the story are well done. I also grew to love the protagonist, and his narrative voice. In fact, I had trouble putting this down once I took in the central premise. And what a premise it is. I'd love to see the setting in the way the author sees it in his mind's eye. In the hands of the right director, this could be an amazing-looking film; in fact, I heard that someone is filming a version for the BBC, but I didn't see any details on when we might expect to be able to see that. I hope it's soon, and well done. 

If you're a fan of sci-fi/fantasy, and/or detective stories, you will probably enjoy this book as much as I did. Recommended. 


No comments:

Post a Comment