Saturday, December 6, 2014

Fall of Frost - Brian Hall

Not sure what to make of this book. I found it as a remaindered book in a local dollar store, and I like Robert Frost's poetry, so it appealed to me and I impulsively bought it and added it to the overflowing TBR shelves to gather a thin film of dust for a couple years. Upon finally getting down to reading the book, I discovered that much like The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, this book is based on known and documented events, letters, sayings, and etc. but it's a novelized version of these events. That didn't bother me, but I can't say I was crazy about the execution, which jumped around in time. The passages about the final events in Frost's life, such as his trip to Russia in 1962, worked really well for me, while a lot of the other parts were too brief and staccato for my taste. All in all though, I appreciated the author's attempt to illuminate the inspiration for Frost's poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment