Saturday, December 27, 2014

Three Plays: Blithe Spirit, Hay Fever, Private Lives - Noel Coward

As you may have guessed from the title, this book contains three plays, but they are all relatively short and I am therefore counting this as a single book. Of the three plays, I would have to say I enjoyed Private Lives the most, although I enjoyed them all. I imagine all of these plays really sing when performed on the stage.

It's amazing to me how talented Noel Coward was; apparently he wrote many of these plays in a matter of days - ! Crazy. As I was reading, many golden-age-of-hollywood movies would spring to mind from time to time, and according to this book's introduction this is because Coward's plays influenced the movies. If someone invents a working time machine in my lifetime, I would dearly love to go back in time and see Coward in action, acting in his own plays - I bet it would have been a truly amazing experience. I'll also make sure to book a ticket to see one of my favorite stars of that era, Clifton Webb, play the role of Blithe Spirit's Charles Condomine on Broadway - what a perfect casting that was. I look forward to reading more by Coward if I can get out from under the TBR pile. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment