Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Back to the Classics Challenge 2015

Karen K of Books and Chocolate is hosting this fun challenge again, with some new categories, and I can't wait! I had a great time in 2014 exploring the classics with this challenge, and I have more on the TBR pile for 2015, as well as some books I am adding to the list because they've been on my mental long-term TBR list for ages. It's fun to figure out which books to use where, as so many would fit in multiple categories. Here are the challenge categories and the books I am going to read for each:

1.  A 19th Century Classic -- any book published between 1800 and 1899 - The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

2.  A 20th Century Classic -- any book published between 1900 and 1965 - Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence

3.  A Classic by a Woman Author - O Pioneers! by Willa Cather

4.  A Classic in Translation - The Arabian Nights translated by Sir Richard F. Burton

5.  A Very Long Classic Novel -- a single work of 500 pages or longer Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

6.  A Classic Novella -- any work shorter than 250 pages - Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

7.  A Classic with a Person's Name in the Title - Goodbye, Columbus by Philip Roth

8.  A Humorous or Satirical Classic - Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh

9.  A Forgotten Classic - Magnificent Obsession by Lloyd C. Douglas

10.  A Nonfiction Classic.  A memoir, biography, essays, travel, this can be any nonfiction work that's considered a classic, or a nonfiction work by a classic author - Het Achterhuis by Anne Frank

11.  A Classic Children's Book - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

12.  A Classic Play - A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen

So there you have it - this should be a very satisfying and fun challenge this year. Thanks to Karen for hosting this great challenge again in 2015! Did you sign up yet? What's on your list for 2015?

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, I love your choices, especially The Arabian Nights and Les Miserables!

    I hope you have a great reading year in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cleo! I'm looking forward to this year's roster of books. It's so hard to make decisions when there are so many classic books that I want to read. I think I need some kind of checklist - do you have a list of great classic books that you recommend?

    ReplyDelete