Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Fire Engine that Disappeared - Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö

Finding this book, which appears to be from the late 1960s, was my introduction to this pair of authors and to Martin Beck. This poor book has been languishing on my TBR pile, ever since I figured out that I would need to read several books in the series in order to read this one, due to my weird hangup about reading a series out of order. I was finally able to make that happen, and I am happy to say that I am really enjoying the series overall.

This particular volume was diabolically plotted and spends little time with Beck relative to some of the other cops. I know we are supposed to find Gunvald Larsson irritating, and he is, but at the same time he makes me laugh with some of his antics. Something I really like about this series is how the authors show the reality of police work - it's not all excitement; cases are most often solved by hard work and attention to detail. I happen to have the last book in this series on my TBR pile, and I look forward to reading the rest of the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment