Thursday, December 29, 2016

One Fat Englishman - Kingsley Amis

Like the last review, this is my first encounter with this author, whose reputation precedes him. I've read at least one book by his son, Martin, but this was my first foray into this paragon of British literature. After some research, I realize that this isn't one of his most highly regarded works, and in fact it seems to be at least a little autobiographical; apparently it was. Did these people really drink and carouse this much? I find it hard to believe, but I guess when this much booze is involved, anything can happen. All in all there were some amazing turns of phrase and things that made me laugh out loud in this book; if this is one of his weaker works, I am in for a real treat when I read the classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment