Monday, December 26, 2016

December Reread 7 - Harriet the Spy - Louise Fitzhugh

I was in dire need of a palate cleanser, so I grabbed this childhood favorite for an attitude adjustment. I loved this book to pieces when I was a kid, and I was happy to find a decent older version that preserves the original illustrations by the author.

This book is kind of a mystery to me. It draws me in and is engrossing, and yet there are some very odd things that happen during the story and make little sense even now. On the other hand, I love the author's way of just breezily taking us along with her, and her character descriptions are so well done I can see the characters in my mind very vividly as I read. Harriet is kind of annoying, but that is totally realistic and it never bothered me, and still doesn't. The sequel is also on my pile, so I think I will read that too to complete this reading. A fun revisiting of a perennial favorite. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment