Thursday, January 1, 2015

Landline - Rainbow Rowell

After I read the author's other books and found them reasonably enjoyable, I put myself on the waiting list at the library for this, her latest book. The waiting list was long enough that I figured it would be a while, which was a good thing, since I had so much reading to do in November and December. So imagine my surprise when I got the email in late December from the library telling me the book was ready for me to pick up. I had to just laugh, since I already had 23 books just for a single challenge to read in December, so this one would have to wait, and luckily that worked out perfectly. So now I have read it and on to the review!

Well, I have mixed feelings about this one. On the plus side, there was some very funny dialogue and lines that made me laugh. I liked some of the peripheral characters a lot, and in fact would like to read a book about them. However, on the down side, I didn't love the main characters. Neither character of the main couple seemed pleasant to be around - one seemed annoyingly pushy and type A to me, and the other seemed perpetually grumpy and dissatisfied and/or emotionless and like a big barrel of NO FUN. So that made it hard to care about what happens to them. So I found the book to be a quick, easy, light read but lacking in emotional connection for me. 

It did make me appreciate my wonderful Mr. K that much more though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment