Thursday, January 29, 2015

Repeat - Neal Pollack

Who doesn't have at least one moment they wish they could go back in time and do differently? Among so many other moments, I personally would love to wake up as a freshman in college, preferably before registration had started, with all the memories I have now of course, and do a lot of things over (different major, different classes, etc.). So when I saw this book on NetGalley, I found the premise irresistible.

This book was a funny, fast read that explored the plot concept well. While I was reading, the writing style made me feel like I was hearing the book being narrated aloud, like movies such as Amelie or The Big Lebowski that have third-person narration in parts. There were some ooky passages here and there I could have done without, but they were undeniably true to life. The main character seems to be something of a slow learner schlub but he's someone you can't help rooting for at the same time. If you find the infinite time loop concept intriguing, and/or you are a fan of Hot Tub Time Machine and Groundhog Day, you will enjoy this book. Recommended.

As a side note, I desperately want to go to The Sideshow restaurant ASAP - I should Google to see if it's real.

No comments:

Post a Comment