Friday, January 30, 2015

Mary Ann in Autumn - Armistead Maupin

This installment in the Tales of the City series is a return to form in more ways than one. Although I very much enjoyed the first person narration of Michael Tolliver Lives, and the chance to experience an entire book in this series through a single character's eyes (not to mention one of my favorite characters, so that was a plus), it was good to be able to visit so many different characters again in this book.

Sadly I can't say a lot about this book without immediately venturing into spoiler territory. I will say that it is touching and funny and surprising. Maupin has a way of spinning a tale that is masterful, and  I can't help but sit back and admire what he did in this book. Recommended.

Now I can't wait to dig in to the next installment, which is less than a meter away from me at the moment. However, after I finish that I'll be in a crisis, anxiously awaiting the next book in this series that has seriously hooked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment