Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Sure of You - Armistead Maupin

This was evidently meant to be the last book in the Tales of the City series, and after reading it I can see that - this is the most "serious" volume of the entire series, the one that has the least amount of silliness and the most realistic relationships with the characters. For that reason I probably liked it the most so far; the farfetched hijinx of the first couple books have given way to serious issues of the mid/late 80s, including of course AIDS. This book too also shows the more serious relationships that have developed as the characters have grown, matured, or maybe in some cases they just got older. Had I read these books when they were initially published, I would be disappointed that the series was over, but luckily there are 3 more books I can't wait to get my hands on - hooray! So now I am looking forward to the continuing adventures of the current and former denizens of 28 Barbary Lane. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment