Friday, January 9, 2015

Between Two Fires - Christopher Buehlman

Not sure where to start with my review of this book. Something about it defies an easy review. The scene was set well, and I liked the main characters quite a bit. I truly feel as if I have visited France in the middle ages. Part of me can't stop thinking about some of the horrific images conjured up in my mind thanks to the author's gift of description.

Compared to the narrator of the previous book, which I raved on about here, the writing in this book is slightly more - well, "casual" is the best word I can come up with to describe it, although I'm not sure it conveys what I'm really trying to say. There was some great dialogue, some of it actually hilarious, which contrasted nicely with the otherwise tense atmosphere of the story.

This book would be great for horror fans, historical fiction fans who are OK with horror, and I think Game of Thrones fans would like it too (disclaimer - I haven't read those books yet, so I'm really talking about HBO's show). I am not usually a horror fan, but this author won me over so hard with his first book that I make an exception for his well written books. I think this book will live in my mind for a while. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment